Ancoura is a not-for-profit, volunteer-based organization and a registered charity.
Our mission at Ancoura is to provide a nurturing and fulfilling environment for adults living with a mental illness, through stable, affordable housing and a supportive community.
Ancoura is an acronym combining parts of words in English, French and Latin.
Ancoura is an anchor, which gives stability in stable, long-term housing embraced by a vibrant community of supports. Within this framework, Ancoura is characterized by heart — (coeur in French and cor in latin) denoting caring, warmth, love and friendship; by courage — a belief in the potential for individual growth; and by the encouragement — that we offer to one another within a supportive community.
Ancoura's Principles and Values
Ancoura is a community and organization committed to excellence in what we do:
- For people: we foster caring relationships that nourish self-worth, independence and quality of life.
- Through teamwork: we engage residents, volunteers and staff in a culture of cooperation based upon equality, dignity and respect.
- Through partnerships: we work closely with individuals, other organizations and faith groups committed to similar goals.
- Through education: we educate ourselves and the public in order to promote healthy attitudes to remove the stigma of mental illness.
- Through advocacy: we support specific actions that promote societal change on mental health issues.
We are a community of residents, volunteers and staff committed to establishing stable, affordable housing and a supportive community for people living with a mental illness in Ottawa. We are dedicated to nurturing resident growth from isolation to inclusion, from stigma to acceptance and from uncertainty to trust.
- Are able to live autonomously with our support
- Are willing to live with others
- Are receptive to involvement with volunteers
- Are willing to participate in social activities
- Are connected to a health professional for follow-up
- Are motivated to stay on medication
- Are not abusing drugs or alcohol, nor have a history of violence
Our work is carried out through many partnerships involving volunteers, staff, health professonals, faith groups, and other community organizations. Linking residents with volunteers and activities in the community gives everyone involved an opportunity to enrich their lives.
Residents live in three-bedroom dwellings. They are supported by a paid professional who offers problem-solving assistance, as well as a team of trained volunteers that helps with activities such as shopping, budgeting and social events. Participation in the work and social life of Ancoura makes the lives of residents more fulfilling.